2009 in Review
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
Took hot yoga classes, joined a dragonboating team, visited Mexico, swam in a part of the Pacific ocean that won't freeze your toes off in 2.5 seconds, swam in the Mediterranean Sea, vacationed in Provence, got pregnant, completed half a pregnancy (and still going strong!), provided end of life care to our sweet dog, watched my nephew turn 5
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I kept some of them, but not others. This year my resolutions are simple and yet so complex: stay healthy, have a healthy baby, be happy, take care of my family
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! Several friends had babies this year, a coworker & friend (& boss) had her second child.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Our dog, Buddy, died on December 26th.
5. What countries did you visit?
Mexico, France, The Netherlands (the airport counts, right?)
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
I would like 2010 to be free of health crisis for my family and I hope to have a healthy baby!
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
January 20- the inauguration of Barack Obama, October 20- the first time we saw our baby move on an ultrasound
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Having a healthy pregnancy, doing all that yoga this summer, trying new adventures
9. What was your biggest failure?
Succumbing to hopelessness
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
yes- but all has been well since July thank goodness and I haven't run into any fire hydrants in at least a year and a half
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Our trip to France
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My husband's. Barack Obama's. My parents'. My brother's (esp. in the last 4 months).
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Joe Lieberman's, Sarah Palin's, Jon & Kate's, Tiger Woods', Dick Cheney's, Republicans in Congress...
14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, health care, vacations
15. What did you get really excited about?
travel & pregnancy (not at the same time!)
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
All I Want Is You by Barry Louis Polisar from the Juno soundtrack
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? happier
– thinner or fatter? fatter, for sure
– richer or poorer? about the same
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I'd found my way to intensive yoga sooner, I wish I'd been a little kinder to myself and a little nicer to everyone else.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Feeling defeated and/or anxious
20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my parents and husband, opening presents and eating a delicious brunch!
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
Oh gosh. Probably not in the way this question is being asked, but yes.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
We seemed to stop watching TV this year, but I still enjoy The Office sometimes and I've come to appreciate The Colbert Report more and more (have you seen the rap battle yet?). Last winter we got into the Dog Whisperer for a little while (i.e. for the two days we had cable at a hotel).
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
24. What was the best book you read?
My Life in France by Julia Child, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
This just isn't a good question for me, I don't generally discover music.
26. What did you want and get?
a healthy pregnancy (so far! keeping fingers crossed!)
27. What did you want and not get?
A massive savings account, a way of curing doggie bone cancer
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I enjoyed The Time Traveler's Wife
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
My birthday was the second to last day of 2009, I turned 31. My husband made a delicious dinner for me, I had a prenatal massage and we had dessert at Papa Haydn!
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
See the dress & bag in this picture? That mostly sums it up. Add a black cardigan sweater to the dress and you have my work fashion concept. Lately, however, my "fashion concept" seems to consist of yoga pants and long tank tops.
32. What kept you sane?
Yoga. My husband. My mom & dad. Dr. Lynn. Reading days.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I'm a pretty big fan of our current president, though I wouldn't describe it as 'fancying', perhaps more like 'admiring for integrity & hope'...
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
health care & the lack thereof, the wars in Iraq & Afghanistan & the prisoners at Guantanamo
35. Who did you miss?
My grandmother, she died in 1997, but I really missed her this year.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Tough question. I don't have a good answer.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
In the 8th grade my piano teacher wrote an Emerson quote in my yearbook... I finally understand exactly what she meant. "In the mud & scum of things, there always, something sings".
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Let's leave it with the above quote.
Inspired by Sundry. I'd love to read your thoughts on 2009 or if you're so inspired your very own year in review surveys!