2010 in Review
1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
Had a baby, became a parent, stopped working in an office (I hadn't been out of an office for more than 3 months since college), and so much more.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I kept the most important resolutions from last year! This year my resolutions are to use cloth diapers more than 50% of the time, to get back to running and to listen better.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yours truly. And all the new friends in our play group.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank goodness.
5. What countries did you visit?
Just this one.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
A little more sleep would be nice. More patience is always welcome too. Otherwise, I've got it made.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
May 5, 2010: Lydia's birthday.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Taking good care of my daughter and my family. On a more vain level, finally figuring out how to make my skin stop freaking the hell out.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Oh, let's not get into that.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Just a couple colds. Oh, and De Quervain's tenosynovitis
11. What was the best thing you bought?
The downstairs changing table? My nursing bras? The glamour never ends!
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My friends & family, I am surrounded by some very good people.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Tea Party & their hangers-on. People who want to hurt other people or who do, intentionally & violently.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Savings, baby gear, mortgage/insurance.
15. What did you get really excited about?
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Old MacDonald Had A Farm and Good Night Irene
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? happier
– thinner or fatter? I'm a bit thinner, but I still have a ways to go.
– richer or poorer? about the same
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying about what other people think. Worrying in general.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
In Louisiana with the in-laws.
21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
22. What was the best book you read?
I really liked Factory Girls by Leslie Chang, Perfect Soldiers by Terry McDermott was impressively thought-provoking and both Anne Lamott books I read this year were lovely- I have parts of Operating Instructions memorized, I liked Imperfect Birds because it was nice to catch up with the familiar characters. Reading Mary Ann In Autumn by Armistead Maupin made me very, very happy- I didn't know it had been written so when I heard about it, the day after it was published, it was a delightful surprise. The Multnomah County Everybody Reads book was intriguing this year: The Ghost Map.
23. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I discovered that my poor pitch is pretty irrelevant when it comes to the magic that my voice can do to calm my little girl.
24. What did you want and get?
My amazing, healthy, happy baby girl (I'm sorry, I'm biased I know, but I can't help it)
25. What did you want and not get?
A gelato cake for my birthday.
26. What was your favorite movie watched this year?
Lars and the Real Girl
I really liked Whip It as well.
27. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
My birthday was the second to last day of 2010, I turned 32. We got back from Louisiana just minutes before midnight on the 29th, so we spent my birthday resting up, grocery shopping etc... My parents brought us dinner (coq au vin & quinoa & salad) and we had a delicious cake from New Seasons.
28. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
An exercise regimen? A butler? I'm pretty satisfied overall.
29. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Comfy pants and shirts that I can pull up or down easily. I know, such a cliche. Maybe a fashion concept would have made my year immeasurably more satisfying?
30. What kept you sane?
Wil, my family & friends, chocolate.
31. What political issue stirred you the most?
health care reform, immigration, war
32. Who did you miss?
Far-away friends, our dog Buddy
33. Who was the best new person you met?
Lydia! We've also met lots of new friends this year from our play group. It's been a great year for meeting new people!
34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Patience is a virtue. I need much less sleep than I thought. Life is much, much too short.
Inspired by Sundry. I'd love to read your thoughts on 2010 or if you're so inspired your very own year in review surveys! I've found myself re-reading my post about 2009 so I plan to keep this annual tradition going.