I've been doing this for a few years: 2010 , 2009
The questions I use are found many places, but I found them from Sundry.
I'd love to hear about your years too!
1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
Parent a toddler, spend an entire year outside of an office or classroom (well, since I was 3 years old at least). Celebrated my husband's college graduation. Celebrated my daughter's first birthday and my nephew's 7th. Took baby music & swimming lessons.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I worked on all of them. I successfully got back to running- I ran a 5k this December. We still use cloth diapers, but I don't think I can claim 50% usage for the whole year. And I've definitely improved my listening skills, though I imagine that's a long-term kind of thing.
I have new resolutions planned for the coming year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! This was the year several friends had second children, my best friend's baby was born on Lydia's birthday, some friends had twin boys and some neighbor/friends had their first baby.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thank goodness.
5. What countries did you visit?
None! The only other state I've visited this year was California. My travel record is downright pathetic and I am absolutely fine with it. We have big plans for travel with Lydia is a little older, but for now we love it right here.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you didn't have in 2011?
7. What dates from 2011 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
August 13th- Wil's graduation day. May 5th- Lydia's first birthday & my friend's son's birthday.
8. What was your biggest achievement of this year?
While I always wish for more patience, I do have more patience than I thought I did and that and my occasional bursts of parenting creativity feel like huge achievements.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Controlling my temper.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Not especially, plenty of little colds, but nothing bad.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new-to-me laptop. Lydia's Christmas presents.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Wil's. My family's. Those people who paid off the K-Mart layaways for kids across the country.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The Republican presidential candidate clowns.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage and other general life upkeep.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Lydia. Really getting to know our neighborhood. Finally running a 5k again.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
"Proud to be me", "Walking to the zoo", pretty much all the Signing Time songs...
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer?
Happier/Sadder: probably about as happy, maybe a little happier?
Fatter/Thinner: neither, but that is about to change for the thinner
Richer/Poorer: a little poorer
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Sleeping, relaxing & enjoying
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Wasting time on the internet...
20. How did you spend Christmas?
We were home with our family. Santa stopped here and then really went crazy at the grandparents' house! We had raclette for Christmas Eve dinner at our house and spent Christmas Day at the grandparents'.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
All the time.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
I finally discovered Parks & Rec in the spring and then we watched Doc Martin this fall.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
What is this? Middle school?
24. What was the best book you read?
Cutting for Stone
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
As a rule, I am not a music discoverer. If it isn't on OPB or Baby Signing Time, it didn't happen musically.
26. What did you want and get?
A healthy, happy, growing toddler, my husband to have his degree in hand, to finish the 5k in a reasonable amount of time, a decent computer.
27. What did you want and not get?
Effortless weight-loss. A butler. More sleep.
28. What was your favorite film of 2011?
Hm, I'm not sure. But I was excited to see two movies in the theater this year- The Help and Bridesmaids (neither of which is in the running for favorite).
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 33 on the 30th. I had a nice day with Lydia & Wil, they sent me off for a massage and Wil & I went to dinner with some of our closest, oldest friends while Lydia had a blast with Grandma & Grandpa.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A sunnier early summer? More exercise? I'm quite satisfied overall...
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2011?
32. What kept you sane?
Yoga, running, nap time.
33. What political issue stirred you the most?
Gay marriage, health care
34. Who did you miss?
Geographically distant friends & family
35. Who was the best new person you met?
I have been so fortunate in 2011 to get to know some fabulous people. The first to come to mind are Liz & Simon and Ashleigh & Lucy- what wonderful additions to my and Lydia's year! We are sad that Ashleigh & Lucy had to move this month!
36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Life is sweet & full, fuller of joy and sorrow than we can imagine.
Also, mistakes will be made.